Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Missouri- Southern
Scots blood of the wee little island of Lewis off the coast of Scotland making me Clan Morrison. While I majored in Communication, a trip to France disillusioned me to that life so I quit school and became an artist while my mother was dying of Cancer .As an Artist and in spite of the resent happenings in the news (or because of them)I have a strong affinity for the South. But I have lived in the Midwest for a while. There is one state which is both Midwest and Southern. Missouri was one of the last states to secede from the Union, but it was known for its Irish brigade Kelly’s Irish brigade. Ironically, it was instrumental in “Bleeding Kansas.” (One could say with this that slavery was not cause of the Civil War.)  Branson, Missouri is the best substitute Disney ever. I remember when I rode though the state. The round was eleven so the car bounced up and down so we bounced with it up and down and drove my mom nuts. The place where my ancestors landed in the in the US is similar in appearance to the Hebrides Islands in Scotland.



Missouri has a very unique mythos in its declaration as Midwestern and geographically South. I decided to skip the arch because it is better known then the state. The arrow head in the front is supposed to be made out of the state rock Mozarkite and express the native peoples of Missouri.  I have not heard of any accounts of the US Army forcing people out but there stories of them being wrongly accused for their race. There is also a copy of Tom Sawyer which is obsessed with the N word for being against racism. Mark Twain Created the mythology of the Old South with its gentrification and emphases on slavery and placing the ideal Old South in Missouri. ( So much for being Midwestern.) The State flower looks like the Hawthorne Flower and Hawthorn tree have always been mythological and contained magical powers. Everything is on top of the secession flag of Missouri. It is a red field with a large red Cross. The cross in this cross flag is Roman Catholic.  Ironical the Papal States were the European country to closest recognize the South.  The dogwood blossom on the book stands for the state tree. I drew this about a year ago.


 Rowan tree are said to have power to protect from duine shì, fairies. I drew this on a Ohio back road using ink pens and latter high light with Japanese ink painting called Sumi-e. I sun burned my arm doing it but found it quintessential nature. This picture should be viewed as it were over looking you. It is covering you on top protecting you from danger. Yet, the firm branches are on you, but in kindness. If you are interested in buying this piece or any others on the blog email me at MatthewMorrison76@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment