Thursday, July 9, 2015

Oklahoma-Native

If one looks closely at the “Stars and Bars,” one sees the Saltier of Scotland, and I am of the proud Highland Clan Morrison being Matthew Morrison. As being a artist and as being born in Texas, I have a love for the South. One of the most interesting states which seceded was Oklahoma. (called “Indian Territory” at the time.) It seceded by most of the Native American Nation joining the Confederacy. (Ironically, because of the “second Battle of Wounded Knee” the Cherokee have reservations across the South.) As being raised in Texas, Okies were similar to Aggies and somehow to me got connected to okra. (I have no idea why.)The party out of power would hide there when redistricting came. When ask my father pointed out that it has navigable fivers. (Texas does not.) I went to a summer camp in Oklahoma; it was with my Spanish Church in Houston. For an outing, we went to the Choctaw museum on their Reservation. In the Guest book for the comment section some in the group wrote “I am Mexican.” (Most Mexicans have some Native American blood as I have met a blond Mexican but the all love the Aztecs.) Most did not speak English very well so most wrote “Hispanic.” ( as stated before That could fit. One wrote “I’m Black.” (I think that one spoke English.) I have a Confederate flag of the Cherokee nation on the wall in my studio.



Oklahoma has a very unique mythos. While it was part of the Louisiana Purchase, the US mostly shoved the East Woodland Nations. This is where the Trail of Tears ended for Chief John Ross and his People. The most noted Nation is the Cherokee and the same Chief Ross led the Cherokee against the “tyranny of the ‘Stars and Stripes’ at the Battle of Pea Ridge and was captured making the Cherokee give up more land. This is why there is the Secession flag of the Choctaw Nation which everything on the picture rests as all but one civilized nation seceded. It is a blue flag with a red peace pipe, red bow and red arrows, and strangely on occasion gets put into the flags of Texas. (The Oklahoma panhandle was part of the Republic of Texas.) The moccasin is for the modern nations with a Phoenix. The Bonnet is for the pioneers. The Term “Sooners” is for those who broke the law and were on the Indian Land before white settlers where allowed on it. The ear of Corn is for the movie of that name. I drew this picture over a year and half ago this pencil and white Charcoal.

This is a Charcoal rendition of one of the Calanais Stones in the Island of Lewis, Scotland. The flag next to it is the flag of Clan Morrison, the traditional rulers of the area. (I am a Morrison.) It is commonly called the Standing stones or the Scot Stone Hinge. No one really knows what it was used for, but the Clan Morrison believes that they judged the Islanders from there. If you would like to buy this drawing or any other drawing email me at MatthewMorrison76@yahoo.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment