Thursday, July 16, 2015

Arizona- Old West
Centuries ago my ancestors lost their high title for the king the loved and fled for America frothier lives, thus making me Clan Morrison Mathew Morrison. For college, I fled it for a mother I loved, but mom died and I am a starving arts. As an artist, I have a love for the South. The Confederacy had one territory which was Arizona. The O. K. Corral incident was federal marshal verses Confederate sympathizers. I rode through the state twice but was sick both times. I did have a Natural Science teacher in junior high from Camel Back, Arizona. It is named for the nearby mountain that looks like the outline of a camel. My teacher use to tell stories about how he would fish, hunt, and camp. My pastor in Texas was also from Arizona. When I was in High school, he would commonly take the Youth Group to the Texas Hill Country. One of the time he commented how the mesquite trees reminded him of of his home state. I told him, “Mr. Holm and the Texas department of agriculture say they use to much water.” He just smirked. ( Water is a very limited resource in both Texas and Arizona.) The Act of Union was revoked recently and technically re-instating titles so I am Brieve Matthew Morrison.



Arizona has a vivid mythology. This is as addition to the “Shoot out at the O.K. Corral and Grand Canyon. Everything is on red sandstone which is iconic of the states national parks and its own national park Red Rock.. Cactus Wren in front of the Sonora Cactus is the state bird.  The Sonora cactus is the state flower.  It is said one can survive in the dessert on Sonora meat alone. The blossoming branch is the state tree. When it rains, the desert gains new beauty with blossoms with yellows and pinks. The Alligator wood stump has a war chief carved into it. This is in memory of the great Indian wars against the native peoples. This is not to say that the Apache were innocent. (In war, innocence is a luxury.)However, I did watch the movie Brocken Arrow. Ironically is that it was not a “war Chief” that was the most famous Native American leader Geronimo. He became a symbol of the freedom of the Old West perhaps because he kept getting captured and going back to his homeland. I drew this picture about a year and a half ago.

 I named this piece Two bridges because it shows a man made bridge and fallen logs, God made bridge. It is a challenge of opposites yet the same. I drew it in a very early wood and I imagined something weird would happen. Something magical like a fairy comes and wished to sing and play or something else magical. I almost thought I would see a leprechaun. When I finished it outdoors, it rained. If you are interested in buying this or any other of my drawing email me at MatthewMorrison76@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment