Tuesday, June 23, 2015

West Virginia-Fairy Hills
The icy wind of the Highland and islands runs through my veins, stating I am Clan Morrison. When my dear mother died of a brain tumor, I willed myself to be an artist. I have a make shift Southern Flag on a makeshift flag pole. As an artist I have an affinity for Southern Culture but left the South. There was one state that did that during the War Between the States. When northwestern Virginia was invaded by the Union, The invading general made them vote to secede from Virginia. But, the joke that most people make about that state is them marring cousins, but that is legal in Texas. But, West Virginians with the exemption of nutty college students are nature people but not like Hoosier farmers. They are more like nature spirits. Ironically, 85% of the states believe in fairies and elves. Last winter brought more ice, but was a bit too cold for my veins.



There is a great mythology of West Virginia with if nothing else Virginians who got lost in the hills. Everything is on the regional secession flag for what was at the time western Virginia.  It is the PC Confederate flag with only one start on the blue field and the word Virginia around the star. There were many West Virginians who fought for the South. They still are very independent people. Like there Scottish and Ulster ancestors, Coal is still big in West Virginia which is why there is a mining helmet. Ironically, the popular song “Working man” was written in a Celtic country like Ireland, but Dolly Parton is known for it. The coal makes it possible to make blast furnaces to make glace seen here with the glass and the marble. There are many myths out for what West Virginians use the marbles. There are two boards nailed together in the front of the picture. This stands for the deep Christian and spiritualistic nature to the state as it forms a cross. It also stands for the Mountain peoples run down cabins. I drew this picture about a year ago or so.
 

Some people believe that Spirits or fairies inhabit stumps or knolls. Calling it Mystic Stump, I drew it recently in an Ohio forest but not a Metro-park then I used the Japanese ink tradition called Sumi-e meaning black ink with India ink. (India Ink has the same principle of charcoal based ink. Both have the nature energy but Indian Ink is less expensive where I live.) I almost saw fairies looking in on me drawing darting around a bush. Ironically, someone walked up behind me and I screamed like a banshee. If you want to buy this or any other picture that I have not sold, email me at MatthewMorrison76@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment