Thursday, January 14, 2016

Colorado-Mountain

The Calis cats which is said to have the powers of the fairy magic and magical giant wolves that roam the Highlands and feed the poor fish swear that I am Clan Morrison. Bamboo, horsehair Sumie brushes and the life-force of charcoal recognize that I am an artist. Colorado is said to be the mountain Mecca for art. This arrived because the gold strike and then the silver strike. Also, my brother is from the state. He emphasized the large German population and Yellow Cake. My senior trip in high school taken with a local Christian School was to go skiing in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. I was living in Texas, and little is remembered on the lower oxygen as it is the “Mile High State.” The first day I was there, I was up to my chest in snow.  I had not prepared for drawing in the snow so I missed the opportunity to capture the beauty on paper. I also signed up for the mountain hike. In five minutes into the hike, the snow was up to my stomach and I was out of breath. In reference to the other thing, there is a black cat that owns me.

Colorado has a very unique mythology even exuding Bigfoot. Behind everything is Mount Tava (Ute:Sun)also called Pike’s Peak and the people  are Tabeguache or “People of the Sun.”   (“Ta-Wa-Ah-Gath” is another name given for the mountain.) It is said to be the place of their creation story and is considered sacred. (They are said to be the descendent of Aztecs.)  According to their legend, Old Man Coyote opened a bag to see what was inside it from which the people escaped. Zebulon Pike tried to climb it in 1806 giving it his name. In 1893, gold was found in the mountain’s shadow. It was a ski resort until 1984. Everything is on a sand dune from Dune National Park which is honored by the national park quarter. The ski boot is for the big winter sports arena. The flower is the state flower Columbine. The name given by scientist is aquilegia (Latin: eagle because its peddles look like talents) its meaning is either foolishness or holiness.  The bird on the boot is the state bird lark bunting. The weird box is the state mineral Rhodochrosite. It is 8” x 10,” drawn with pencil and white charcoal and completed in 2014.


The name of this piece is Frozen Ditch, is 9” x 12” and drawn with ink March 2014. This was drawn on a gravel road when I was in the Indiana boondocks in the winter. (It was not really that cold that day.) Frozen streams have a unique beauty as the media and the sculpting untencle are formed into one. Also, it is a forest stratteling a road or nature and civilization living in harmony. If you are interested in buying this or any other of my work email me at MatthewMorrison76@yahoo.com to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment