Thursday, September 8, 2016

Tao Stone-Zen

The gold-hilted sword, giant of the gray hag and the three white dogs of Finley swear to the Highlands that I am Clan Morrison. The purple dust that clings to everything and the Zen mind on find when one seeks the perfect black declares me an artist. The mind is the spirit of existence. Zen is the mixture of Tao and Buddha., but Zen literally is neither Taoist nor Buddhist. It is said to be simple elegance but is better understood as living in the moment. Its essence is chi being bond to Ying and yang thus Tao. The Tao is God without the Western Ideas which make him nationalistic and evil.


Tao stones have thier have their own mythos. It symbolizes existence and balance in life thus Tao. But, stone are also bound to the “eight fold path.” Likewise, stones are bound to the Japanese board game Go which is considered a martial art. The Japanese phase is the Zenism “Seeking Life in Death.” It cares the idea of understanding death through each moment.  The idea of the piece is the word Tao also means steam. I drew this in a stream near where I live putting the Zen sumie on with meditation music on after wards. I ended up using a ruler to get the proportions perfect.    I used some extra ink to outline the main stone and its reflection for definition. It is 12” x 18,” drawn with Sumie on watercolor paper and completed recently.

 The name of this piece is Forȇt,  is 4” x 7.5” and drawn with pastel on cardboard recently.  The name means forest in French. It was with only 3 colors plus white and black. Most of my drawing is done in the forest. If you are interested in buying this or any other of my work email me at MatthewMorrison76@yahoo.com to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment