Thursday, April 23, 2015


I am an artist and a proud member of Clan Morrison, but like most artist I love for anything French. I normally where a Huguenot’s Cross, have a French knife on a shelf in my studio and use a sachette instead of pockets. When I was starting college, I gained an unique love for the writings of John Calvin and other Huguenot authors. As I have previously stated, The South has a connection to France and me. The majority of French immigrants settle in Appalachia and the Carolinians/Virginia area.  Because of this the only French Reform Church in America is in South Carolina. One of South Carolina’s best known patriots François Marion may have been born in France. (The film The Patriot did not get much accurate on him. ) I had a (English) Canadian pastor who started a church in South Carolina and I suspect the area was a little too French for him but he cannot stand the cold any more. (He is still not big in to grits.) Also, I had a lot of friend that went to college in South Carolina: although I have only driven through it once.     
 
In pursuit of the mythos of South Carolina, it is lost in sometime lost in the Icons that are presented. South Carolina is a commonwealth making it the opposite of a southern part of North Carolina. I will have to admit a friend from the Charleston area found it confusing. The Flag everything is resting on ia  a South Carolinian battle flag. The sparrow and the Honey suckle are the state bird and flower. The Sword is based on two swords of state (the first was stolen in the 1970’sand replaced in the 2000’s by the English ambassador.) The Palmetto branch rests as SC is the “Palmetto state because of the story from the American Revolution. The monument remembers its Calvinist nature also remembering it became a refuge with its first Anglo settler being religious refuges.

  

Cajuns are a unique French speaking minority that rests in Southern Louisiana and the Texas Bayou. Although fearful of outsiders, they largely made up Lee’s Tiger and many other great battalions.

No comments:

Post a Comment